Monday, April 13, 2009

The Health Benefits of Swimming

One of my favorite recreational activities is swimming. Swimming also happens to be a very good way to exercise. It involves the use of almost all the muscles required for movement, without the weight of your body pounding you with each move like when you are walking or running outside or on a track. When swimming one is submerged in water which has a resistance greater than air resistance, so that the muscles have to work harder. Also, if one swims regularly say 3 to 5 times a week, then it will build your muscle strength, endurance, and improve your cardiovascular fitness. The longer you swim, the more your endurance and speed will improve. Additionally, swimming is good for improving lung and ciruclatory system function.
It also is a good way to burn calories at about 3 calories a mile per pound of bodyweight and improves one’s ability to control and maintain a healthy weight.
There are other benefits to this activity besides the obvious physical ones. Some of the psychological benefits iclude helping one to develop a positive mental attitude and high selfesteem. It also promotes fitness and teaches one to strive for physical achievement. In fact, many professional athletes in various sports started out as swimmers and gained strength and coordination that helped them to excel. Swimming is also a good way to reduce stress and increase energy levels. So if you are looking for a fun. beneficial, and rewarding hobby this summer give swimming a try, you'll get a kick out of it!

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy swimming when I am able to go. It is a great physical activity for when you are cross training too because it doesn't put pressure on your joints, which is good for me since I am always running on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really enjoyed reading your blog. Swimming really does seem like an all around healthy and beneficial activity to take part in. I am not a huge swimming fan but with all the benefits I could be getting, I think I should give it a shot. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree-swimming is definetly a great way to cross train your muscles instead of doing the same type of cardio/workout everyday. The gym that I am a member of has a pool that I should defintely start taking advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the chance to go swimming more often. I know how great of a training technique this is. There's just not enough hours in the day for me to go to our school's pool and just swim. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to go swimming in the summer and it was on the best ways to build your cardio respriatory fitness! I have a pool in my backyard so whenever it is warm I love to swim :) Can't wait for the warmer weather to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swimming is a great way to get a total body workout. I lifeguard during the summer and they make us swim every mourning when we report to work. Whenever I finish my swim I am always exhausted even after only swimming for 10 minutes. I cant imagine how swimmers gain the endurance to swim miles at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am on the swim team at school and I agree that its a great workout. I really focus on diving but maybe twice a season my coach will have me swim and after a few labs I can feel my muscles burning. You use alot of muscles while swimming and in order to be able to consistanly swim you have to work your way up. It takes a lot of endurance to be able to compete in long distance races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love swimming and as a lifeguard I know a lot about it. I agree with your article and think everyone should try it. Even taking a class in the water, they are harder then you would think. Swimming is great for people of all ages and sizes. What I especially like about swimming as cardio is that it is low impact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im from an Tropical Island and I enjoy swimming always I do it all my off time. Now I have many reason to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swimming is a great form of exercise, I am currently on the cross country and track team and it still amazes me how much swimming makes me out of breath and exhausted. Swimming is also a good way to nurse an injury back to health because it is low resistant but you still get a good cardio workout from it.

    ReplyDelete